Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Spring Salad


I hope you've had a great weekend!  It is cold and rainy here this afternoon, but despite the weather, this time of year I start craving all the lighter foods that come with warm, sunny days.

Recently I put together this salad and it has quickly become one of my favorites. At the time I had some lettuce and fresh strawberries and thought I would combine them together in a salad with a few other staples I had.  What resulted was a light, fresh salad with just the right combination of sweet and tangy.  Not to mention it's easy and quick to put together!  


 Salad Ingredients
 Lettuce (I like a spring mix,but you can use anything you prefer)
Strawberries, chopped or sliced
Parmesan cheese, grated
Chickpeas, freshly cooked or canned, drained
Optional: Chicken

 Since I'm usually home, I like to cook my beans from scratch.  (You can always cook them ahead of time and freeze too.)  I personally love chickpeas... they are full of fiber and protein and I love the texture they add.  (Justus doesn't like them so much, but he feels compelled to eat them after Jillian lectures him on how healthy they are - ha!) 

When I make a salad as the main course for a meal, I always add some chicken.  Sometimes I marinade it and other times (when I'm either in a hurry or I was too lazy to marinade earlier) I simply rub in a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle it with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.


 Dressing Ingredients
Equal parts of balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil with a grind of black pepper and some salt.  Mix well. (I usually find that about 2 Tbsp of each is the right quantity for us but you can always refrigerate the leftovers or quickly make some more.)


 Whenever I make this salad, Jillian always gets excited.  I think there's just something about the strawberries that adds just enough sweetness to make it both refreshing and delicious.  You can adjust the quantities to your own preferences, but I usually load ours with the strawberries and chickpeas. 


 Now I can just hardly wait until we have local strawberries to buy!  

Warm, spring days are around the corner, I just know it (smile). 


25 comments:

  1. That looks like a wonderful summer salad. I will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a wonderful, wonderful salad. Great pictures, too- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Spring Salad looks delicious! I have set out my chick peas to soak overnight. It will be wonderful to have later in the week. However, we are currently in the midst of a blizzard! Your chicken recipe is in the crockpot. Always smells fantastic. It will be great after all this shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I have never thought of using strawberries in a salad. It looks so refreshing, I think that I will have to go and get some balsamic vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look delicious and a mixture that I also like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We eat a lot of salads, and this one looks wonderful! You take beautiful food photos when you share recipes, Andrea.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy! I love using balsamic vinegar for dressings- such good flavor! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious!! Waiting for spring here too!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! All I can say is Yummy, I'm hungry. Gotta try this.
    xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. That salad looks and sounds so wonderful and so summery.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. With spring coming soon, I hope, I'm trying to eat more salads to help shed the winter weight. Your salad looks delish! I think it just may be on my menu this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to believe we'll have strawberries before too long—with the snow coming down here this morning. But, you're right, we will. Beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Healthy, fresh and pretty. The perfect meal! You are so smart to start your kids on eating salads while they are young. I didn't do very good at that. I don't think my kids liked salads until they were teenagers. One of the many things I would change if I could have a do-over! Several inches of snow fell here last night. I am so over it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your salad looks great with those strawberries! I've been craving salads with my pregnancy. I've been doing a lot of mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, Swiss cheese, & nuts with poppy seed dressing. Also, another salad with apples, pears, Swiss cheese, cashews, and lemon poppy seed dressing. Yummo! I have never had salad with chickpeas though. I will have to try it now! P.S. I've still been enjoying your granola recipe. I made a parfait for the first time today and it was delish! Have a great week! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This salad looks so yummy. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your salad looks very fresh and delicious. I am a fan of chick peas and use them often. Your salad is much more healthy than the creamscicle milkshake I made and posted today. It was really sinful so I will be eating salads like yours for awhile. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious and please share with me how you get your kids to eat salad?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so delicious and please share with me how you get your kids to eat salad?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love fruit in my salad - looks amazing and can't wait for strawberry picking season!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love strawberries and I love them even better in a salad. It's something about how they bring ou the freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm, that looks delicious! I love salad with strawberries. I've never thought of adding chickpeas to it though..what's wrong with me?! It's so great that your daughter loves to eat this too. My little girl loves salad...sometimes even for a snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yes please to spring and local berries. I want a gorgeous field and little one eating her own weight in those red jewels. Thanks for the lovely look ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delicious! I think I know what I'll be having for lunch tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You salad looks delicious...what a beautiful and healthy meal...Since my hubby and I have cut out the "white foods" I look for ways to dress up our salads...this is one that we will have this week as I just bought some great strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  25. if it has strawberries--it's got to be delicious:) hope easter was fun!

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign