Thursday, September 24, 2015

This Egg Washing Business


 This past summer I've had so much fun watching Rosetta go through her little routine of washing eggs.  It's one of those little moments I've wanted to capture and remember forever because it's so precious.  

 

 As part of the girls' daily chores... wait, scratch that... as part of the girls' daily chores when we aren't really busy and we actually stick to our daily chore list, the girls help take care of the chickens.  Jillian is old enough now to fill the water and feed troughs, and Rosetta gathers the eggs and washes them.  She has a routine she always follows of setting up a little assembly station, which consists of her egg basket, a bowl full of soapy water, and a towel that she organizes outside.

 


 

 With hands full of soapy water, I don't really think they consider this a "chore".  ;-)  But we take this egg washing business serious here! 



Ever inquisitive, the chickens always come over to see what we are up to. 


 

 I've actually been on the hunt for a cute egg basket for ages now.  We've been using an old basket I picked up somewhere for $1 in the meantime.  At Wal-Mart (who knew?) recently though, I found the perfect egg basket for under $5.  This wire basket was in the craft section and was originally brown, which wasn't a problem for me...  I just came home and spray painted it white.  I love it so much, I might go back and buy a few more because it's the perfect size to store so many things in the house.  :-)


 I've been hanging onto those last days of summer, but Fall has arrived and soon we'll be walking on crunchy leaves in the cool air.  Eating pumpkin muffins with warm drinks.  Soup for dinner, and maybe lunch too.  Taking advantage of the sun in the afternoon.  Searching for the perfect pumpkins and decorating the porch with mums.  Savoring new fall memories. 


 Happy Fall! 



12 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a sweet post Andrea. Beautiful pictures of the girls helping with the chickens. Walmart does carry some cute products. Happy Fall! Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter, your chickens, and your eggs are beautiful! I enjoyed your word picture of fall. I am looking forward to cooler days and colorful leaves, and soup for dinner sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious times. Enjoy. I was happy to be with my daughters who are now 31 and 23 last night. It's the best feeling in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this! Your girls (human AND feathered) are adorable. I'm anxiously awaiting the day we can finally have chickens. We're renting our current house and just don't know if we'll be here long enough to keep them. Thanks for posting! (I've definitely missed your updates :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your life, your family and you! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosetta did a great job cleaning those eggs! I can't believe how quickly those sweet girls are growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making me miss my hens! Love their assembly line! Sisters working together - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, So glad you are back! Your posts just make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooohhh the smell of crisp, fall air! We look forward to sitting by the fire pit while sipping on hot cocoa. Speaking of neat finds, Target has fall colored kitchen twine on wooden spools in their "dollar zone".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog so much. That is all. lol. :) Joanna in far northern Ca.

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign